Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Net/OpenBSD local reboot

From: mouse () RODENTS MONTREAL QC CA (der Mouse)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:27:40 -0400

I have limited resources to play around with, but on my
OpenBSD.current PPP system, one of:

ping -s2955 1.2.3.4 or
ping -s1455 1.2.3.4 causes kernel panic

It's my guess that this is due to a magic MTU of 1500 which the
packet just barely exceeds, resulting in only three bytes of data
(one octet) in the last frag.

For what it's worth, on a NetBSD/sparc machine running code supped in
the AM of July 8th, I don't get any problem from those commands, even
though the Ethernet MTU is also 1500.  So either this version of NetBSD
is immune or it's something ppp-specific.  (I don't currently have any
easy way to fire up ppp; that will have to wait until I get home.)

I have second hand confirmation that this problem exists under netbsd
as well,

Without more specifics (eg, what version of NetBSD? was it necessary to
use ppp to get the panic? what was the panic?), it's hard to tell.

                                        der Mouse

                               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca