Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability in HP sysdiag??? and securetty - clarification

From: njhm () ns njh com (Nicolas J. Hammond)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 06:09:26 -0400

Beebe, Todd wrote ...
Funny thing..

[...]
annoying password.

On a side note, if there are any SysAdmins out there using the
/etc/securetty file as a means to disallow direct root login, don't. It
also
has a "bug" that HP support never gave me a answer for.  If you
use xterm to login to your server it doesn't use the /etc/securetty file
so the tty is not secure, you can get a direct login as root without
any changes to the system.  I thought somewhere within C2 specifications
it talked about disallowing direct root login....

This is not in the C2 requirements of the "Orange Book"
(the book that defines security class requirements)

--
Nicolas Hammond                                 NJH Security Consulting, Inc.
njhm () njh com                                    211 East Wesley Road