Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Suspicion about denial of service attacks possible on IP.

From: jrvalverde () samba cnb uam es (J.R.Valverde)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:03:56 WET

Correct me if I'm wrong, but out of one corner of my head I seem to
remember that there is a maximum number of pieces you can maintain,
and that when it is filled, the system drops incomplete packets
according to some algorithm or another (LRU, timeout, or some
similar).

Guess I should restore some old mind-backup to refresh my memory.

Yup... ...  ...   ...   . . .

BSD 4.4-Lite:

/*
* IP timer processing;
* if a timer expires on a reassembly
* queue, discard it.
*/
void
ip_slowtimo()
{
...   ...

        So, on BSD you add fragments to a reassembly queue, which has
a life time, and when this time expires, the fragments go to the bit
bucket. The function is hooked in to a protosw table, to be called on
slow timeouts (500 ms, modifiable through PR_SLOWHZ).

        Hence, I suppose there could possibly be a DoS attack, but you
would need to flush the host machine fast enough...

                                jr