Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BoS: Magic password of some linux-box(Hardware..)

From: handcuff () concentric net (Brian F. Knoll)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 21:04:22 -0000

A few days ago, my friend mistyped his console password, "condo,".
The BIOS vendor of his system was AWARD.
Then, The BIOS accept the password like a real password and booting,
gives the permission to set up the bios.
I thought that it was a bug of a version of award bios.
But, It's not true. Unfortunately almost versions of award bios has the
magic password "condo,"

Some manuals of mainboards describe this 'feature'. Most Award bioses
I've
come across respon to the password AWARD_SW (mind the case) and will
allow
altering of the bios or just regular booting.

Ofcourse this is meant as a sort of 'last' recover option, but for me it
seems a little foolish to make this default to all Award Bioses..

Does anyone know if only the Award BIOS is susceptible to this?  In other
words, are other BIOSes, such as AMI BIOS, susceptible to the same sort of
behavior?

    Brian