Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Serious hole in Solaris 2.5[.1] gethostbyname() (exploit

From: raskin () aoml noaa gov (Craig Raskin)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 20:29:28 -0500

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Jeremy Elson wrote:

I have found what I believe is a very serious security hole in the
gethostbyname() function provided in the nsl library of Solaris 2.5 and
2.5.1.  The hole allows local users to gain access to a root shell
(exploit program provided below).  There is a good chance this exploit can
be modified to allow a remote attack, but such a method has not yet been
found.

After doing some playing around, it looks like this only affects machines
with patch level 103615-01 and up. Try backing out of that patch and it
should fix the problem.

Craig Raskin, raskin () aoml noaa gov  "A competent and self-confident person
Unix System Administrator            is incapable of jealousy in anything.
U.S. Dept. Of Commerce               Jealousy is invariably a symptom of
NOAA/AOML, Miami Fl.                 neurotic insecurity." -- Heinlein