Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Denial of Service Attacks INFO

From: newsham () aloha net (Tim Newsham)
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 09:31:02 -1000

UDP Bomb - By sending a UDP packet with incorrect information in the
header, some Sun-OS 4.1.3 Unix boxes will panic and then reboot.

Anyone willing to say _what_ this magic incorrect information is?  I'd
much rather not have to take the time to grab the patch, uncompile both
it and the file(s) it replaces, and try to figure it out from there.

sending a bad length field in a UDP packet used to panic
sun4.1.x boxes.  (by bad I mean something like 0 or 1, smaller
than the size of the udp header even).  I'm not sure if
this is the same bug mentioned.

                                        der Mouse
                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu