Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Not so much a bug as a warning of new brute force attack

From: blh () nol net (Brett L. Hawn)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 14:49:03 -0500

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Aaron Merifield wrote:

Why not just change the system so that it wont accept a dictionary name as
a valid password.  Six to eight characters and at least 1 or 2 numbers
would make it a little more difficult too.
The main way to crack password files seems to involve using dictionary
files (that you can easily get from the net) and using brute force to
compare the encrypted dictionary words to the encrypted passwords.
Therefore just dont allow dictionary words as passwords.  Although the
number you can still make your own dictionary files of random characters,
the percentage of people that would even bother drops big time, IMO.

You can lead a user to a good password but you can only make them use it for
so long. Not to mention anyone with the time and desire can create a fairly
nifty 'dictfile' like I did a few years back. All it takes is some simple
brain power and a LOT of disk space, a quick file that prints all variations
of 5-8 charater length combinations to a file. I stopped mine at 238megs and
it was still going strong.

Brett