Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Write-only devices (Was read only devices)

From: juphoff () tarsier cv nrao edu (Jeff Uphoff)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 17:18:21 -0400

"VK" == Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> writes:

VK> Actually, they *do* use old-well-known techniques.  I'm willing to bet
VK> a large pizza with everything on it that most sucessful attacks are
VK> based on crack, network sniffers, and old well-known security holes
VK> like sendmail exploits.  Remember that the number of truly innovative
VK> crackers is very limited - 99% of them are lame adolescent-minded
VK> wannabe's that just have toolkits of scripts and things to try....

Just got a telephone call about an hour ago reporting some break-ins
last night at another domain where the crackers exploited the WWW
cgi-bin 'phf' vulnerability mentioned in March's CA-96.06.

I tend to agree with Vladis on this one....

--Up.

--
Jeff Uphoff - systems/network admin.  |  juphoff () nrao edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory  |  juphoff () bofh org uk