Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Write-only devices (Was read only devices)

From: kinch () kcc empath on ca (Dave Kinchlea)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 16:20:45 -0400

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Matthew Cable/USA.NET Inc. wrote:

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, DevilBunny wrote:

Sending unencrypted logs over a public network, what a great idea. Some
of my logs actually contain passwds for failed logins and ppp connections.

if your logs contain passwords you should be shot....

If you want to log failed logins then you want to know what username
the failed login was trying to use. THIS is where passwords get sent
to logs and it is what I suspect that DevilBunny was talking about.

The rest of your message I completely agree with. We use:

*.err;kern.debug;daemon,auth.info     /var/adm/messages
*.debug                              @sysloghost

and sysloghost also monitors the traffic from a serial port
connection.

None of this helps when syslogd breaks, however.

cheers