Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: identd hole?

From: rquinn () sprint net (Rob Quinn)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 07:35:49 -0400

Lately I've heard rumours about this 'identd' hole in RFC1413

 It's been a while since I looked at it, but won't identd actually tell you
about any connection on the machine and who owns it? Maybe he's using that
in some way to follow you around and find out what machines you are connecting
to.

Then today I had someone claim they had the root password on my machine at
home. So I telnetted in, changed it

 Are you sure he doesn't have root on your machine at work, or a machine on the
same net? If he was snooping the net as you telnet'ed home, you were just
re-opening the door to him. Heck, maybe he didn't have the root password at
all until you telneted in and changed it.

--
| It must be true,                                               Rob Quinn |
| I saw it                                                   (703)904-2125 |