Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: rdist exploit [bsdi]

From: brian () saturn net (Brian Mitchell)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 03:50:39 -0400

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Cosimo Leipold wrote:

With relation to the BSDI rdist exploit, it seems logical that it may
work on some systems and not others. I don't know what it is dependent
on, (only have one or two machines to try it on, and they both spawned a
 shell) However some of you might be interested to know that it works on
a commercial version as well (though there is no real reason it
shouldnt) But on the following system, it worked, and it is a commercial
system;

You mean there's a noncommercial version of bsd/os (bsdi)? As to what
it's dependant on, you might try specifying a offset on the command line,
default is 50 - if it segfaults try 70 or 30, it's generally somewhere
around there...

Brian Mitchell                                          brian () saturn net
"I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell"
- H. Truman