Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: World writable devices in Irix?

From: bpowell () topsun West Sun COM (Brad Powell)
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 16:34:34 -0800

From owner-bugtraq () CRIMELAB COM Wed Jan  3 16:29 PST 1996
    I expect it does.  But note that there is also:

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     sys       39,  0 Mar  4  1994 /dev/audio

    Workstation vendors *SHOULD* add these parts themselves (they are the ones
who really know which device does what).  At the very least they could put them
into an if clause which you have to edit to activate.  But they *SHOULD* add
the relevent code themselves.....

    I look forward to hearing whether any vendor actually does do this.  I
will be even more impressed if there is one which does it correctly (and
adds/changes lines as new devices are added!!).

If its a Solaris box try "man logindevperm"

Brad Powell : brad.powell () Sun COM
Sr. Network Security Consultant
SunNetworks, Sun Microsystems Inc.
               The views expressed are those of the author and may
                  not reflect the views of Sun Microsystems Inc.