Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: bind() Security Problems

From: baba () beckman uiuc edu (Baba Z Buehler)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 10:27:17 -0600

General Scirocco <sciri () newhackcity net> writes:

        Cracking the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authorization protocol.

1) Auth-data is generated from 16 successive random numbers.
   MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 can use 2 different methods of seeding the random
   number generator:

        a) Using the process ID of xdm client & time of day in seconds
        b) Using the time of day in seconds & time of day in microseconds
           (that connection was established).

I believe that xdm is what is generating the cookies in these ways... this is
why my login scripts make my cookies...

 randomkey=$( (ps -aewl;netstat -i;netstat -t;date) | md5 );
 xauth add $(hostname)/unix:0 . $randomkey
 xauth add $(hostname):0 . $randomkey
 unset randomkey

While generating more secure cookies, this still doesn't prevent sniffing and
hijacking.

--
# Baba Z Buehler - 'Hackito Ergo Sum'
# Beckman Institute Systems Services, Urbana Illinois