Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re[2]: /etc/shells (was Re: procmail

From: ewedel () MERIDIAN-DATA COM (Eric Wedel)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 14:35:09 PST

So far, suggestions have focused on user-level attributes.
Some of the proposed controls might equally well apply
to groups.  (For the record I don't advocate single-character
flags, though that seems to be a *nix tradition.)

Warning:  this thread could get really long.  :-)

regards, Eric Wedel

        how about extending the passwd fields one more after the shell so
that mine would be something like

auderho:x:1298:1:Jauder Ho:/export/home/jauderho:/usr/local/bin/tcsh:tf

with single letters representing different options , we can have 62 if we
use all the numerals , upper and lower cases of the alphabet.

so let's say that t stands for telnet allowed, ftp allowed ...

this allows pretty fine grained control over users.

--Jauder