Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability in the Xt library

From: imp () village org (Warner Losh)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 22:06:07 -0600

: after all this is a pretty severe BUG, and the only way (i can see) to patch
: it is to get a new libXt... :(

Or fix xterm such that it doesn't need to be setuid.  This usually
involves hacking the kernel to have saner defaults than are present in
the BSD kernel.  If you could create a pseudo device that was owned by
the user creating it, xterm wouldn't need to be setuid, if my look at
the source and conversations I've had with others that understood
xterm better than I.

This doesn't mean that one shouldn't fix libXt, just that xterm,
although careful generally, shouldn't need to be setuid root (in an
ideal world).

Warner

P.S.  I'm sure I'll get flamed for not knowing the other cases that
xterm needs to be root for, if they exist.  Please be gentle, xterm
isn't the easiest program to read :-(.