Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: libresolv+ bug

From: brian () saturn net (Brian Mitchell)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 16:03:33 -0400

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Theo Van Dinter wrote:

encompassing/cleaner method of fixing it, but here's my patch for ping (I
have the Netkit-B-0.07A source for ping (linux)...  It just switches the
effective uid to nobody (default 65534) around a certain gethostbyname ...
This fixed the problem as far as I can tell on my system...

62a63,64
int kluge;

297a300,301
              kluge=geteuid();
              seteuid(65534);
298a303
              seteuid(kluge);

What about using unsetenv() to remove the vile variables from the
environment at the beginning of the program.

Of course, this all needs to be in libc, kludging your way around ping,
rlogin, traceroute, and especially ssh is not a good thing.

Brian Mitchell                                          brian () saturn net
"I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell"
- H. Truman