Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: -rw-rw-rw- 1 root 8025 Aug 24 04:10

From: avalon () coombs anu edu au (Darren Reed)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 23:02:06 +1000

In some mail from Dave Roberts, sie said:

On Fri, 25 Aug 1995, Darren Reed wrote:

People designing setuid-root programs or programs in general which perform
priviledged operations and need temporary files should consider using a
non-public access directory as the temp. file location.

What about using the tempnam() call?  Maybe it's not available on all
platforms although it is on AIX, SCO and HP-UX, so I'd have thought it
would be.

Do you feel that the randomness of the filenames this returns is not
random enough?  Or is it that the very nature of a file that the world can
get at is the security threat, no matter what permissions are in
existence.  I'd have thought that having /tmp mode 1777, using tempnam()
to get the file name, and creating this file in mode 0600 would be
sufficient.

I believe that SunOS5's ps(1) used something like tempnam() - the bug
wasn't that, but the exploit code was written.  When you can do a search
in a finite space and find the result, what security does tempnam() give
you ?