Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: a point is being missed

From: montrose () itd nrl navy mil (Bruce Montrose)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 09:14:23 -0500

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Scott Barman wrote:

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Casper Dik wrote:

Let me say first that I don't speak for SunSoft.  This doesn't
change the fact that it is nearly impossible to do static linking
on Solaris 2.x.  (And static dynamic linking is a slip of the keyboard).

Unfortunatly, it is attitudes like this that will prevent Solaris from
ever being able to statically link binaries.  This attitude seems to be
prevelant among all my contacts with Sun.

If enough of us voice our opinions as you have done so elloquently in
this message then maybe they will respond.

I have not yet seen any good arguments against dynamic linking.

Anonymous FTP: So you can put a copy of "ls" in the chroot area without
having to copy, and expose, the libraries.  So you can include a program
that will allow the user to search your archive (see the "quote site
index" command for gatekeeper.dec.com) again, without exposing your
libraries to attack.  Another example later.

These have been mentioned before but sometimes people need to be told
things many times before they listen. I would like to add my own reason
to the list: I'm against all forms of censorship and I think that it is
inappropriate for Sun to limit our options so that we are forced to do
what they feel we should be doing.

They could still ship their product out with dynamically linked login and
whatever else they choose to do, but they could at least provide the means
for others to easily replace these with static versions by the client's own
discretion.

Environment variables and other environmentel tricks have always been
possible in Unix.  The LD* variables have made the need for
environmental control much more obvious.  su/login/sendmail didn't
do proper cleanup and passed almost any environment variable to
sub processes.  That was not a problem introduced by dynamic linking.
It was a problem that had existed for a long time but that had gone largely
unnoticed.  Even $TERM is dangerous in some circumstances.

Dynamic linking adds exposure to another aspect of your system.  Leave
the libraries open for attack through a program that has to run setuid
or setgid and they will be attacked.  Maybe not now, but they will be.

STANDARD_COMMENT:
Sometimes the obvious needs to be repeated often before it sinks in.

First of all: all authentication programs are extensible through dynamic
linking, all localized programs are extensible through dynamic linking,
etc.  Dynamic linking is required.

"Extensible through dynamic linking"?  How so?  Please explain?  What
are we going to do, leave it dynamic so login user can add their own
options on the fly?  Sounds real secure to me!

Hello. Anybody home here? I'm surprised that Sun would try this line on
the group of individuals that recieve this mailing list. This is something
that I expect to see (and do see often) on television commercials where
sadly most of the American public assimilate the information directly as
being factual without question.

No, I'm sorry, Sun may be unwilling to go to the trouble to link login
static (and indeed, they probably are - they've demonstrated an
unwillingness to go to any sort of trouble for the sake of security
until prodded by wide publicity of a problem).  But claiming that
they're unable to just doesn't hold up.

You're being unfair.  Sun is pretty open about security.  We publish
security patches for problems not widely know.

Gee... then why hasn't Sun done something about sendmail so we can get
off the sendmail advisory of the month club??

True, but lets not be drawn into another debate. Keep focused on the
issue of statically bound censorship. A common tactic for a debater with
a weak argument is to introduce other issues to drift away from or
confuse the real issues of the debate.

Besides, I don't share you opinion that linking login statically contributes
to the security of Solaris 2.x.

It limits the attackable objects to one item, which can be secured far
better than the program plus EIGHT libraries currently being used by the
Solaris 2.4 login program.  What's easier to tie down, nine items or one?

Oh... and a program, like login, can be made to be executable only (no
read permissions).  You cannot have dynamic libraries without read
permissions, dlopen() will fail (I just tried that one!).  So I can
better secure login but not the libraries.

goto STANDARD_COMMENT;

In Solaris 2.6, what would you rather have: a statically linked login or
a totally dynamically configurable login?

Sun, or anyone else, can make login configurable with a statically
linked program.  Having something configurable is NOT does not mean
having to be dynamically linked!

Besides, what kind of configuration options do you need?  There are
parameters in /etc/default/login that pretty much covers everything
(with some exceptions I think would be worth looking into).  Do you need
a dynamic library to process that file?  I don't think so!

goto STANDARD_COMMENT;

scott barman
--
scott barman                  DISCLAIMER: I speak to anyone who will listen,
scott () disclosure com                      and I speak only for myself.

These comments are my own and in no way are meant to represent the
opinions of my place of employment.

     _/_/     _/_/  _/_/_/_/   _/_/  NAVAL RESEARCH LABORATORY
    _/_/_/   _/_/  _/_/   _/  _/_/   Center for High Assurance Computer Systems
  _/_/   _/_/_/  _/_/_/_/   _/_/     4555 Overlook Ave., S.W.
 _/_/     _/_/  _/_/  _/_/ _/_/_/_/  Washington, D.C.  20375-5337

          Bruce E. Montrose          Phone: (202)767-0485             Bldg:  16
                                       Fax: (202)404-7942             Room: 215