Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: password backdoors (on Apollo)

From: mattm () alaska net (Matt T. Mannhardt)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 14:18:22 -0800 (AKDT)

On 11 May 1995, Dan Thorson wrote:

Sure, shut the machine, REset, then (and I can't remember the exact sequence)
you should be able to modify the /etc/passwd file, re-start the OS, root has
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!
Not on the Domain/OS network I use to run.  Apollo had a "typed" filesystem
and the /etc/passwd file was a type "passwd" file and the /etc/group
file was of type "group".  If you edited these by hand then they became
just another pretty (useless) file.  UID/password authentication was (or
should I be saying "is") done by the the "rgyd" (pronounced "reggie dee")
daemon on the your network node running the master registry.

Well, atleast, that was all on an Apollo Network I use to run "The
Domain way".  I would install all three environments (BSD, SYSV, and
Aegis) but ran them all as an Apollo network.  No NFS need, login at
root on one machine and you had access to every nook and cranny of
every disk on every Apollo on that network.  But forget the root
password and, you better have a set of distribution tapes and node
with a tape-drive and 20 minutes to kill while it booted off of
tape. (remember, physical access = control).  But that was all in a
prior life and previous job.  don't remember a thing about it now.
;-)

the password (or lack thereof) you set up in the previous step.

Just another example of physical security being important.

dct

-Matt Mannhardt (WL7CDE), mattm () alaska net (Postmaster), support () alaska net
Internet Alaska, Inc. 4050 Lake Otis ste #107a, Anchorage Ak. 99508 562-4638
* PPP dialups at 28.8kbs, starting at $165/6 mo. - no other charges!