Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: sniffers

From: jenkins () dpw com (Colin Jenkins)
Date: Mon, 1 May 95 9:13:23 EDT

Is there any way to find out if a sniffer is on the net?

Sure.

If you have access to the machine you suspect is being sniffed from.

These are all good ideas, however many sniffers are not Unix systems that
can be logged into and examined.  I have worked with DOS based sniffers
(Network General Sniffer, Excelan, HP, etc) that are far superior to suns
(as sniffers/protocol analayzers) and I doubt that they are easily detectable
even with their transmit lead intact.

                                                Colin

                                        Colin Jenkins
                                        Supervisor of Systems and Networking