Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Lotus Notes Encryption Strategies

From: Ollivier.Robert () hsc fr net (Ollivier Robert)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 22:05:11 +0100 (MET)

I have been looking at the methods used by Lotus Notes to do encryption on
its mail transfers.  It seems to use RC4 (Rivest Cipher) for domestic
communications and RC2 for international communications.

Are you implying that RC2 is weaker than RC4 ? I've heard that the international
version used RC4 with a 40 bit keys ...

RC4 is known because someone posted on Usenet a source believed to be if not
the actual source at least something compatible with it.

Both these keys seem rather small in comparison to something like PGP's
1028bit key.

Remember that PGP key sizes are for RSA not IDEA. IDEA uses 128 bits keys so the
key sizes are equivalent.

Noone knows anything -- to my knowledge -- about RC2 except that it is a block
cipher (RC4 is a stream cipher).
--
Ollivier ROBERT  -=-=-  Herve Schauer Consultants -=-=-   roberto () hsc fr net
-=-=-=-=-=- Support The Free UNIX Systems ! FreeBSD Linux NetBSD -=-=-=-=-=-