Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows 95 Espionage ( ?? )

From: kealeyl () Phibro COM (Larry Kealey)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 14:09:18 -0500

 Microsoft officials confirm that beta versions of Windows 95 include a
 small viral routine called Registration Wizard.  It interrogates every
 system on a network gathering intelligence on what software is being run
 on which machine.  It then creates a complete listing of both Microsoft's
 and competitors' products by machine, which it reports to Microsoft when
 customers sign up for Microsoft's Network Services, due for launch later
 this year.

Can someone confirm this, my understanding is that the "Registration Wizard" transmits a
copy of the vfat [directory/file stucture] along with some configuration information on
the host where it is being run, but does not "interrogate every system on a network".
Which is consistant with:

 "In Short" column, page 88, _Information Week_ magazine, May 22, 1995

 The implications of this action, and the attitude of Microsoft to plan
 such action, beggars the imagination.
 An update on this. A friend of mine got hold of the beta test CD
 of Win95, and set up a packet sniffer between his serial port and the
 modem. When you try out the free demo time on The Microsoft Network, it
 transmits your entire directory structure in background.