Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Sol2.x Mouse EXPLOIT info - CORRECTION

From: barr () pop psu edu (David Barr)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 14:14:32 -0500

In message <199501181524.KAA24318 () ussenterprise async vt edu>, Leo Bicknell wri
tes:
      Ok, I'll point out a few things.  "#" is not a valid charactor
in a host name, and a good bind server will not return it.  I was
unable to get my bind server to return a hostname with a # in it,
so even if someone hacked the bind server for your site it wouldn't
matter.

I don't know of any BIND server which won't let you put in a "#" in
a host name.  I've done quite a bit of checking of DNS, and I've found
quite arbitrary characters in people's DNS data.  You can argue
to the contrary, but that's beyond the scope of this list.

      Another thing not considered, is that by default under Ultrix
all the network tty's are _unsecure_ meaning root cannot log in on
them no matter what .rhosts says.  Unless you have changed this it
is absolutely not possible for this to be a problem.

You mean except for "rsh ultrixhost rm -rf /"

Remember, with /.rhosts, having unsecure ttys has no effect.

--Dave