Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: secure www site FAQ ???

From: ch11mh () surrey ac uk (Mr Martin J Hargreaves)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 13:58:36 +0000 (GMT)

On 11 Jan 1995, Ron Steriti wrote:

Is there a FAQ describing how to set up a secure www site?
(gopher, mosaic)

        I just wrote up some HTML on the WWW site here, which is set up
quite securely. It's available at

        http://www.chem.surrey.ac.uk/~ch11mh/secure.html

        It consists basically of "Get a cheap single purpose machine with
a free OS, and disabled every subsystem you don't need (all but networking)
then run all the security tools you can find on it and check it every day"

        I hope this is useful (a lot of questions regarding secure http
servers seem to have come up recently). This does not address encrypting
servers - I may do something on this later.

        Regards,

                        M.

| Martin Hargreaves,                        ch11mh () surrey ac uk|
| Undergraduate Computational Chemist                          |
| WWW Server Admin                 http://www.chem.surrey.ac.uk|