Bugtraq mailing list archives

/etc/mnttab and Solaris 2.4

From: Philippe.Langlois () world-net sct fr (Philippe Langlois)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 06:59:42 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

Are there some critical programs that use the getmntent(3C) sets of functions?

I ask that because under Solaris 2.4, the /etc/mnttab is like this (666):
% ll /etc/mnttab
-rw-rw-rw-   1 root     root         409 Jan  6 13:25 /etc/mnttab

The man says:
     The file mnttab resides in  /etc  and  contains  information
     about  devices that are currently mounted. mnttab is read by
     programs using  the  routines  described  in  getmntent(3C).

So if there is any critical program using this file, it can be subverted.
rite?

Phil.
--
Philippe Langlois -- Net & Unix Admin @ World Net, Paris, France.  <
Email: phil () worldnet sct fr          "after all, we're all alike!" <