Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CERT Advisory CA-95:02.binmail.vulnerabilities

From: karl () bagpuss demon co uk (Karl Strickland)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 15:57:39 +0000 (GMT)

The CERT Coordination Center thanks Eric Allman, Wolfgang Ley, Karl
Strickland, Wietse Venema, and Neil Woods for their contributions to
mail.local.

Last billing there Neil, though I note its in alphabetical order. It
does seem a little thick headed that cert, in its wisdom, did not simply
refer people to several 8lgm advisories already on the subject. As for the

To be fair to CERT, we were given early access to a number of versions
of mail.local before this one was released.  Neil analyzed - in detail -
countless versions of mail.local and provided code to fix the remaining
problems.

"mail.local" not been perfect - what are they advising? the installation of
something less that perfect as far as root-bugs are concerned?

      "But mom, I'm only a little bit pregnant"

From my examinations of mail.local, its fine unless you can write to the mail
spool directory. If you can, then its raceable.

Why is it raceable?

--
Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland