Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hijacking tool

From: econrad () bu edu (Eric Conrad)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 11:37:28 -0500 (EST)

I'm less concerned about the IP spoofing attack method than I am curious
about this TAP tool. Does anyone have any detailed/technical information
on this in particular?

I don't think this is anything special to be worried about.  Once someone
has root, they can use this tool to clone ttys and break into more systems.
The way I look at it, once the hacker has root, the gig is up anyways.

The measures described to prevent this (disabling loadable kernel
modules) seem pointless -- if the attackers have root, they can
rebuild the kernel to do anything they want.

I found tap via archie -- search for tap-1.24.  It may be an older
version.

                             ...Eric