Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: snooper watchers

From: fc () all net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 00:13:01 -0500 (EST)

If I turn the paranoid mode up a notch or two here..
What is to stop someone from mounting another filesystem over the top of
your tripwire database and crontab entries.  Replace the mount and df
commands to not show the new mount point.  Now you continue to believe
that you are a happy camper, all safe and secure.

Btw an easier attack is to just modify the script that regularly runs
tripwire, usually run from cron.

                                     Tim N.

        This whole set of issues has been researched in some depth and
partially solved - partially proven unsolvable.  See "Defense in Depth
Against Computer Viruses" and "Program Evolution for Operating System
Security" - both in the IFIP-TC11 Journal Computers and Security -
I won't bother to tell you who the author was - FC