Bugtraq mailing list archives

rpc.ypupdated

From: sobral () INF UFSC BR (Marcelo Maia Sobral)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 13:00:04 -0200

   I've fixed the SunOS 4.1.3 ypupdated bug (I think). Using tcp_wrapper tcpd
to call rpc.ypupdated by inetd, and restricting access for local domain machines,
has blocked this security gap. Here follows the steps:

  1) Add the following line to inetd.conf:

ypupdated/1     stream  rpc/tcp wait root /usr/etc/tcpd /usr/etc/rpc.ypupdated rpc.ypupdated

  2) Create file /etc/hosts.allow with the entry:

    rpc.ypupdated : LOCAL :

  3) Create the file /etc/hosts.deny with the entry:

    rpc.ypupdated : ALL : (/usr/ucb/finger -l @%h | /usr/ucb/mail -s %d-%h root) &

  4) Remove rpc.ypupdated call from /etc/rc.local.

  5) Kill rpc.ypupdated (if running), and send a Hangup (kill -HUP) to inetd.

  This solution effectivelly protects ther machine. When a intrusion trying occurs,
a finger is made on the originating host and the result is mailed to the
administrator.

   Good luck !

   Marcelo Sobral
   Informatic and Statistic Dep.