Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BUGTRAQ ALERT: Solaris 2.x vulnerability

From: chasin () CRIMELAB COM (Scott Chasin)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 10:03:33 MDT

[casper () HOLLAND SUN COM wrote]:

Just to add my two cents to the discussion:
        - this is a known problem

So why wasn't it more publically announced. Sun could easily have issued a
new binary very publically and without saying what they had fixed.

Mark Graff relayed to me that Sun has known about this for about 2 weeks
or so.

[casper () HOLLAND SUN COM wrote]:
        - it is fixed in 2.5 (by using fchown, not chown, both versions of ps)

Apparently this is *NOT* fixed in the 2.5 release. At least not the copy I
have.  And I believe someone else has contested to this fact as well.

So why didnt you tell people instead of negligently leaving them exposed

This is the old full-disclosure debate.  I don't think we should be getting
into this here.

Otherwise known as the majority of people who are less technically clued up.
Vendors need to improve their methods.

Alan

--Scott
chasin () crimelab com