Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Mail flags for using procmail instead of /bin/mail?

From: adam () bwh harvard edu (Adam Shostack)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 18:14:13 EDT

Jim Ault wrote:

| Could someone post some suitable lines with proper flags to give
| procmail that I could include in sendmail.cf ? We run sendmail 8.6.9
| on sunos 4.1.3, and we have procmail already installed.

This is taken from procmail3.06/examples/advanced.  I chose not to go
with the h flag.  Flag meanings are added where the flags are
different.  Also, if you're running 8.6.9, you might want to add plus
addressing.  The directions in the advanced file don't work, since
8.6.9 gives you many routes to get to Mlocal.  Warrantied to work or
your money back.

# flags different are
#  S dont reset ID
#  !h preserve uppercase in hostname
#  P need return-path header
#  f delivery agent adds -f to argv
#  r delivery agent adds -r to argv
#  m multiple recipients possible

Mlocal, P=/software/bin/procmail, F=lsSDFMPfn, S=10, R=20/40,
        A=procmail -a $h -d $u

# replaces:
# Mlocal,       P=/bin/mail, F=lsDFMrmn, S=10, R=20/40,
#               A=mail -d $u

---------plus addressing -----------------

        The following changes seem to work for me.  All lines with a
++ were added manually.  The others are there as reference points.

# short circuit local delivery so forwarded email works
R$+ < @ $=w . >         $: $1 < @ $2 @ $H >             first try hub
R$++$* < $+ @ $+ >      $#local $@$2 $: $1              yep+arg ....
R$+ < $+ @ $+ >         $#local $: $1                   yep ....
R$++$* < $+ @ >         $#local $: @ $1                 nope, local address+
R$+ < $+ @ >            $#local $: @ $1                 nope, local address

# modified for plus addressing.
# handle locally delivered names
R$=L                    $#local $: @ $1                 special local names
R$++$*                  $#local $@$2 $: $1              local argument
R$+                     $#local $: $1                   regular local names