Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /bin/mail...

From: karl () bagpuss demon co uk (Karl Strickland)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 1994 19:31:55 +0100 (BST)

Good Morning,

  After playing with the race condition this morning, I honestly don't
  see how the patch made it worse. (Unless I've got the scripts
  backwards.) The first exploit allowed you to create or append to any
  file. The second exploit only allows you to create any file. Yeah, it
  probably makes people feel more secure, but it's silly if they feel
  safe. So, after the patch, you can atleast not append to /etc/passwd
  or whatever. As well, it seems that if there is an alias for the 0 UID
  user, the problem doesn't exist. (Atleast I didn't see an option for
  not doing an alias with binmail. I could be wrong.) As well, even if
  you could write to /etc/passwd (/etc/shadow) it doesn't parse past
  bogus lines. (ie. the mail headers)

  Please let me know if I'm wrong in any of these statements.

You are :-)

Please read the advisories again - carefully this time :-)  Its important to
note that the exploit scripts are not the be-all and end-all of a problem;
they're simply a demonstration.  The 2nd mail advisory says:

       "Note that this script will only create new files, not append
        to existing ones (as did the one in the previous advisory).
        A variation on this script could easily be written to append
        to existing files.  On the other hand, you are now virtually
        guaranteed to win this race, which is what makes this problem
        worse than the original."

Yours,
Karl Strickland.
--
Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland