Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security Info (root broken)

From: perry () imsi com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 14:52:43 -0400

Pat Myrto says:
Can someone out there please infomrm me how these cracker types are getting
root privs, and how one can stop it short of disconnecting the machine?

Who knows? There are always more bugs. In addition to sealing your
machine up as well as you know how, I recommend putting a good
firewall between yourself and the internet. You never know where the
next vulnerability will come from. If thats too radical for you, if
you make sure that people can't log in to your machine from over the
net without using S/Key or something like that you will at least have
reduced the window a lot.

Perry