Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: core symlinks

From: avalon () coombs anu edu au (Darren Reed)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 1994 13:33:53 +1000 (EST)

      It's been mentioned before that core dumps on
some systems may fallow symlink and that this can be used
to overwrite any file. I was wondering if anyone knows which
OS's and versions behave this way.

I've heard it said that you can do interesting things on SGI's when you
get a large core dump happening and the bus gets flooded.  I've no idea
about which version of IRIX...

I didn't bother to chase up on details, but someone might like to play
around with 50MB (you get the idea of what I mean by large) core dumps
and seeing what happens when you attempt other diskio at the same time.