Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DEC OSF/1 Enhanced Security passwd problem

From: timmo () RacerX mse jhu edu (Tim DiLauro)
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 11:43:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 31 Aug 1994, Tim DiLauro wrote:

Hello:

I'm having trouble w/ DEC OSF/1 V2.0 Enhanced Security.  Just yesterday,
the passwd program decided to be very friendly and let anyone (except
root) change anyone else's password.  I wrote a wrapper for it so that it
can't do that anymore.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this.  The general consensus (and the
one that solved the problem) was that I should get a comprehensive patch
kit from DEC.  The kit, CSCPAT_4061 (CSCPAT_4060 is available for Ultrix),
contains a number of fixes.  The most important of these was
/usr/shlib/libsecurity.so.

Problem fixed.  Much thanks.

-timmo

Tim DiLauro                          Milton S. Eisenhower Library
Library Systems Jack                 Johns Hopkins University
(410) 516-5263                       3400 N. Charles Street
timmo () RacerX mse jhu edu             Baltimore, MD  21218