Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: r commands

From: dennisg () sickly cybersafe com (Dennis Glatting)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 10:15:46 -0700

  Well guess i'll just pitch in my two cents in. If you dont
allow users to set up their own .rhosts files, or you
dissable them compleately. Then you loose what makes the
r commands so wanted by people.... transparency. They
like them because they dont have to type a user name and
passwd to log into other machines. Now if this dissapears
then rlogin is a beefed up telnet. Therefore you must a)
Allow you users to use them and simply drop all incoming
packets to any ports where the r deamons hang at the
router. or b) dont allow them at all.

  In a university setting a) is probably fine while a
bussiness would probably go with b).

I remember an article where Bill Joy said "the r utilities were just
a hack until the telent and ftp protocols are formalized". The
article continued "they escaped from the lab."

As a system administrator I can tell you the r utilities are a major
source of security holes, particularly the .rhosts file. As I
developer, I can tell you the r utility source and cross platform
issues suck.

If you got'm, don't smoke'm.

-dpg