Bugtraq mailing list archives

rhosts (+ REQUEST SNMP bug)

From: jseng () darwin technet sg (James Seng)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 23:18:37 +0800 (SST)

On Mon, 17 Oct 1994, Brett Lymn wrote:
- change the ownership of the user's home directory to root (ideally)
- allow the user group write on their home directory so they can use it
- set the "other" sticky bit on the user's home directory to prevent
  removal of files not owned by the user
- create a directory called .rhosts in the user's directory owned by root
- touch a file into the .rhosts directory - any file will do
- make the .rhosts directory mode 000

Sound like a good idea to me..I will tried it out and see if it works :-)

Thanx for the suggestions..and sorry for the stupid mistake i make for
mode 000 .rhosts file. But as i was scanning the user directory, it seem
that only a handful of my user knows about rm(1) or perhaps they could
care less about the .rhosts file. (oh well..newbie sys-adm make stupid
mistake now and then :-)

Coming back to security problem, have anyone encounter a cracker hacking a
network thru the routers instead of the unix box? I mean all along we
are talking about problem with unix..but what about routers itself? I
briefly remember that it is possible to send a SNMP request to all
routers and write to the config file of the router. Of course, this
requires the router to be configured with write-enable thru SNMP
request..but this seem to be the default configuration (at least on the
cisco routers i play with). You can also read the config file, obtain
the passwd file etc using similar method. Of course, there are some
routers with secure SNMP implementation but for convience in network
management, it seem it is not widely use..(or is it?)

There are other security problem with routers i can think off. A cracker
can run a script trying thousand of time to log into the router and the
router dont even keep a log. :P

Correct me if i am wrong..I am not really a network guy. Any comments or
have anyone encounter such attack?

James Seng Ching Hong ~{W/Uq:j~}
Technet Student Consultant, Technet Unit
Internet: jseng () solomon technet sg