Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hackers Out of Business?

From: mcn () c3serve c3 lanl gov (Michael Neuman)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 10:04:25 -0600 (MDT)

      Well, I figured I'd throw in a little enlightenment to those of you
who don't keep up with firewall systems.  The basic going theory is to shut
off UDP service (DNS is faked).  Thus, they make a valid argument.  Obviously
their advertisments are trying to get publicity for the company.  It's obvious
Winn Schwartau thought he was writing another book when they made the
brochures <grin>

  Sure, sounds secure, but not very useful. I happen to like things like
mbone, name resolution, nfs mounting internet archives, talk, the variety of
games that require UDP, FSP, etc.

      The product seems pretty good from what I've read thus far.

  Well, then Winn suckered you in. :-) Just be warned, you can duplicate
perhaps 98% of the functionality for free, and it won't even require
any programming. In fact, you can probably get more functionality,
since I'm sure UDP proxies exist.

Another, more important note, is that they
didn't bring it to people known in the industry for their security specialty.
Iwould be a bit more willing to swallow this huge lump of sh*t if someone like
Willam Cheswick or Steven Bellovin was the one doing the evaluation.

  Well, you're confusing public recognition with knowledge. SCTC is
probably more well known in their (DoD?) circles than Ches or Bellovin.
Besides, AT&T may have a grudge. :-)

-Mike