Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Sidewinder's announcment

From: stagda () sys1 ic ncs com (stagda () sys1 ic ncs com)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 00:43:19 -0500 (CDT)

William McVey wrote:

No, as I understand it, they are two separate challenges.  The
first one was to challenge anyone/everyone to break into a Sidewinder
site.  This challenge has been deemed unsuccessful by the folx at
sidewinder.com.  That challenge is now over.  The current (or rather
future) challenge is given initial access to a Sidewinder host, to
penetrate another Sidewinder host on their local network.

 -- William McVey
    CS Department
    Purdue University

"Given initial access" is a sucker bet.  All they have to do is write a
crude restricted login shell that traps out interrupt signals, doesn't allow
new shell generation, and is chroot'ed, and nobody can get out.  Big deal.
You could do that on a totally insecure system and NOBODY could hack
their way out.

What this inquiring mind wants to know is, if someone hacks into their system
using something OTHER than the freebie login they give, will they make good
on their promises of fame and fortune?  i.e., if someone poked through a
port 25 bug and got root access by such nefarious means or some other typical
attack (free access to a severely restricted shell is hardly a typical attack),
would they own up in public, or just try to buy off the hacker?

It seems to me we're all in the wrong business... rather than trying to
seriously secure our own sites, we should just pile a bunch of fearmongering
b.s. into a glossy pamphlet and get rich selling "security" to the rubes.

--
/**
        David Stagner