Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Time for moderation?

From: Derik.Jarne () osi com (Derik Jarne x353-2490)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 94 09:49:56 PDT

Douglas Goodall writes:
I am very unhappy :-( to be receiving anything that looks like
credit card numbers, names, and expiration dates.

If this is going to happen, I vote that bugtraq becomes a
moderated list.

I would rather know that people are actively retreiving credit card
data.  As much as I've read about people snooping for it, I hadn't
actually seen it until now.  It wasn't related to bugtraq but I thought
it was informative.  What fool would collect credit card data only to
share it with a mailing list that clearly includes some above-board
people who would report the cards as stolen?  I'd like to think that
the real author (apparently not the sender) was just making a point.
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  So does a terrorist!!

Moderation won't prevent credit card numbers from being gathered.  If
they really wanted to publish the data with a few like-minded
individuals they probably should have posted it to alt.2600 or
something.  (No offense to all the above-board people there.)

I would not vote for moderation unless the traffic level was out of
control, or the content became permanently off-topic.  Speaking of
which, I'm sorry for using everyone's bandwidth this way ...
--
kevin.ruddy () powerdog com