Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Setuid programs run from shell scripts?

From: karl () bagpuss demon co uk (Karl Strickland)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 08:55:48 +0000 (GMT)

text deleted...
(Not to get into the set-UID shell-script argument again. ;-)
Clearly, the set-UID bit on one or the other must take precedence.
Someone, somewhere decided that it would be the set-UID bit on the
script.  This was maybe the wrong decision, but it's the one we're
stuck with, for the moment at least.
-----

Fred-
    A shell script runs under the uid of the account executing it.
I don't think there is any way for a script or any other subprocess
to know whether it is being executed by any given account or by
an account using a setuid program.

isnt that what real & effective uid's are for?!

So the script suid has to take
preference.

why?! i dont follow the logic.

Unless you ignore suid on scripts altogether.

Quentin

--
Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland