Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FIRST Workshop Info

From: spaf () cs purdue edu (Gene Spafford)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 01:16:31 -0500

That is the biggest impedement to progress I am aware of - lack of
INFORMATION.  Causes are varied and numerous, but the effect is the same.

Information is available, but it is not always free.  This harkens
back to the brief discussion re ISS, for instance.  Information is
available at the workshop, but it requires an investment of time and
money to attend.  It requires an investment of time and effort for
people to generate a useful summary of the meeting if they do go. It
costs time and effort to generate a workable patch that doesn't break
something else.  And so on.

Again, this strays from the theme of bugtraq.  If you want to learn
more about the underlying economics of security, come to Purdue and
take one of my courses. :-) As for the workshop, I will generate notes
if I have the time and energy to do so, but don't hold your breath --
both are in short supply most of the time.

--spaf