Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: AIX rlogind

From: kjj () pondscum phx mcd mot com (Kevin Johnson)
Date: Sun, 22 May 1994 12:40:10 -0700 (MST)

AIX login also uses getopt and both AIX and shadow use "f:" in the opt
string.  This f: is exactly the problem.  Rlogind will allow you to
pass one argument you get to choose.  Both appear to have the same
person involved (JF Haugh II)

If login uses getopt with -f:, it will interpret an argument like -fuser
the same as -f user, which is what causes the problem on AIX and
it appears that the same problem exists in shadow 3.3.1.

BSD versions of login either don't use getopt but require the options
seperated by spaces (i.e., -pf fails, but -p -f is ok) or they
use getopt but the -f option doesn't accept an argument.

I have no idea whether shadow 3.3.x really has this problem,
because I don't run it here.

The rlogind on my machine (a Motorola r32 box) using the shadow 3.3.x
package does not exhibit the bug.  I'm wondering if it's a composite
bug between certain implementations of rlogind and login.  I am of the
opinion that this is an important point to resolve due to the variety
of alternative implementations of rlogind and login out there...

bugtraqers,

Has anyone checked to see if Wietse Venema's rlogind in his logdaemon
package exhibits the same behavior with shadow 3.3.x login?

--
#include <std_disclaimer>
"Frank Zappa is dead - the world is a duller shade of gray" - me