Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: trojans on ftp sites

From: arielf () mirage nsc com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 10:59:46 PDT

David H. Brierley wrote:

Easy, I replace the md5 program with a modified version that *reports*
the checksum that everybody else is expecting to see.  Eventually this
would break down becuase someone would download my copy and then
attempt to generate a new checksum but it would not match.  This is
partially solveable by only having the modified program available for a
week or so, then put the original back and go modify some other
program.

A clean solution to the problem described would be to use 4.4BSD
and make the md5 program "immutable".

If this has anything to do with firewalls, it is that 4.4BSD
machines make more secure systems and that includes firewalls.

I believe that the immutability kernel concept will become
more and more popular with time.

Best regards,
Ariel Faigon