Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: permissions

From: rwing!pat () ole cdac com (Pat Myrto)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 7:18:48 PDT

"In the previous message, Evil Pete said..."

"Pat Myrto" has been known to say:

There is a patch, that is nothing more than a script that improves
the perms that is available, at least for SunOS 4.1.x.  As you point out
it changes /etc/ from bin to root, and the same with a lot of other
subdirs.  How complete it is, I don't know but it is far better than
the original.

To get the permissions right under SunOS you have to do it yourself

mount:

/             rw,nosuid
/usr          ro
/var          rw,nosuid
/home         rw,nosuid
/tmp          rw,nosuid
/usr/local    ro

That is something I must try - I was lead to believe the nosuid option
applied only to NFS mounts.

The script I mentioned is far better than nothing, its main impact is
the ownership of the subdirs.  Stuff like /etc, and so on ship owned by
bin, which is no good at all, especially on diskless stations, and/or
stations on the local network where the user has root privs on his
workstation.

While root is supposed to map to nobody on an nfs mount (unless the
root option is specified), bin maps to bin, making it irrelevant who
owns /etc/passwd, and so on if one has access to bin on the client
machine...

I will most definitely try that nosuid and ro combo on regular mounts,
especially for subdirs writeable by users, as there is no earthly reason
most users need to run any SUID anything programs in their home subdir
area - even suid to themselves.

Thanks for pointing that out!

and for automount/afs users:
/net          rw,nosuid,nodev

Automount is a feature I have not tried - from all accounts one gets
the feeling it is more headache than its worth.  What is the gain that
warrants all the hassles?  I recall that is less than robust.

this way there is not place to install a setuid program/backdoor
and most of the system binaries are on a readonly partition.

That is a good point.  The only problem with making /usr/local readonly
is that one must bring the system down to single user to install or
update anything, so there would be a tradeoff.  Still, being aware of
that option, one can make an informed decision whether making local
ro is desired.  Your partition arrangement above is EXACTLY like mine
other than the ro and nosuid options, and order of mounting:
/, /usr, /tmp, /usr/local, /var, home.

I will be adding other stuff on top, mostly under /var or /var/spool
when I add more drives (like /var/spool/news, etc).

as for sun automount (afs is better :-)  I find most sites that
setup /net forget to disable setuid, thus anyone can get root my typing
the command:

      /net/unsecure.host.another.dom/tmp/make_be_root

I am not sure what you are talking about here 'make_be_root'.  Isn't
the suid problem something that exists on all the nfs mounts, other than
the user effectively does a mount himself by virtue of accessing the
subdir in question?  Is this a problem inherent in automount?
--
pat@rwing  [If all fails, try:  rwing!pat () ole cdac com]  Pat Myrto - Seattle WA
"No one has the right to destroy another person's belief by demanding