Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: AIX rlogind

From: mrgreen () mame mu oz au (matthew green)
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 1994 14:27:20 +1000

: I've just checked DEC OSF/1 V2.0. This seems to be partially ok. The -froot
: method won't work (I get complaints about -r, -o, and -t being unknown options
: which implies its -f option doesn't take an argument). However the -h trick is
: still available (but is obviously less severe).

I'm not sure it is less severe.  Can't it be used for host spoofing
when using rlogin - just set up a user of the appropriate name on your
own host and rlogin -l -htrusted.host ???  (I haven't been able to test
this yet because I don't have any untrusted hosts handy that can get
through the log_tcp blocking!)

i believe it is only able to fool utmp/wtmp type things.
using the ``-l -htrusted.host'' hack trashes the -remote-
username you would normally pass.

i may be wrong.