Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Full Disclosure works, here's proof:

From: casper () fwi uva nl (Casper Dik)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 1994 15:09:23 +0100

Besides Spaf's argument that full disclosure has no proof of being
productive, I think almost everyone I talked with who works in security
for their vendor agreed that they try to fix security holes as soon as
possible, and ones that have been publicly disclosed, would take higher
priority in the list of patches to create.  Only a real bloated and
beaucratic organization wouldn't make patches ASAP when customers are
screaming for them.

Anyways, it has been less than a week and here's SCO patches.  If 8LGM
had only reported the bugs to CERT and SCO, who knows how long would we
have seen the patches?

So, tell me, where did the full disclosure take place?

Apparently SCO feels that the discloure of the fact that there are
bugs was enough to get them of their buts.  So it seems that
time-lapsed full disclosure does work.

We have seen no such fixes with the first batch of immediate full-disclosure
8lgm reports.

Casper