Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RPC protocol problem?

From: Steinar.Haug () runit sintef no (Steinar Haug)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 18:27:42 +0200 (MET DST)

I just read a post in comp.security.unix entitiled "widespread security hole
in exporting of filesystems" which claims there are ways to break into a
system that has filesystems exported to itself.

Does anyone know anything about this?  The post said "the trick is to make
RPC requests via the portmapper, in such a way that they appear to the mount
daemon to be coming from within the host itself."

The post mentions a program that is "out there" to exploit this hole.  If
anyone has any knowledge of this, could you please post instructions on how
to test for this.

Yes, this knowledge is widespread. Pick up the following program
which shows how to exploit this and other well known NFS problems.
I have enclosed the starting comment from the program at the end
of this message.

Host ftp.cs.vu.nl

    Location: /leendert
           FILE -rw-r--r--       7597  May 16 15:15  nfsbug.aix.patch
           FILE -r--r--r--       3478  May  4 12:12  nfsbug.hpux.patch
           FILE -r--r--r--      36023  May  3 19:51  nfsbug.shar

Steinar Haug, SINTEF RUNIT, University of Trondheim, NORWAY
Email: Steinar.Haug () runit sintef no
-----------------------------------
/*
 * nfsbug.c
 *
 * Test hosts for well known NFS problems/bugs. Among these tests are:
 * find world wide exportable file systems, determine whether the
 * export list really works, determine whether we can mount file systems
 * through the portmapper, try to guess file handles, excercise the
 * mknod bug, and the uid masking bug.
 *
 * Author:
 *      Leendert van Doorn, april 1994