Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris 2.3 login

From: shipley () merde dis org (Evil Pete)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 11:46:39 -0700

From: John Tipper, Open Client/Server Group
*** Resending note of 12/08/94 13:44
Classification:  -- NONE --
Subject: Core Dumps

Hi,

I'm new to this area, and to butraq, so please bear with me if this note
is in the wrong format, or doesn't belong here.

Can someone please explain what the security implications are if a
program results in a coredump? I have discovered several programs here on
my machines that can result in these.  How could an intruder use these to
gain access?  What are the best ways of combatting this?

Thanks,

in the case with login, if login dumps there is a change that you can
get a "page" from the shadow password in the dump; thus if you do this
a few time you can get a copy of the shadow password file.

Also it depends on the system. A old "get root quick" method was to do
the following

        ls -s /etc/passwd ./core

then get something to dump core and it might over write a system file.
If your binary has a string that looks like a valid password line you
might get root.  ( this assumes the kernal core_dump funtion will
follow links with is not the case under current verions of BSD).

        -Pete