Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UnixWare

From: ccdes () ccdes princeton nj us (Carl Corey)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 08:05:42 -0500

This is NOT what I meant. I explicitly mean that you should go beyond
simply leaving the machine as shipped and should actively remove
existing SUID facilities to the extent possible and change all
persistant system processes to run unprivileged if at all possible. I
do not merely mean "regulating" SUID facilities. I really mean
actively yanking them out and replacing them with non-SUID facilities.
I also mean eliminating openings like world writable utmp files,
devices, etc.

COPS generates a list of SUID files, one of its more useful features.  I am
in the process of going through and determining what _needs_ to be run as
root, and if it does, if anyone else should have access.  I also have
reduced tcp/udp services to a minimum, and any that connect are logged with
tcpwrapper.  Right now it's only a LAN that can connect via tcp, but we are
getting a 56k (ug) connection soon - and it will help to be ready by then.

I know we are getting a cisco router, and I have a question for anyone -
what is the latest version of the router software I need to run to keep
fake ICMP packets from reaching my hosts?  I believe that this was a
somewhat recent upgrade by cisco, thus the presence of nuke.c or whatever
being used to annoy people.

Also, is there a way to block people running FSP without blocking all udp
packets or relying on blocking udp to certain ports?  I may not be around
full-time on this system, so it is conceivable for a user to set up their
own fsp server in their home dir and not have me notice it for a few weeks
or so.

cc